I’m really looking forward to Lent this year!
I stopped making New Year resolutions some years back, so what makes me try so hard with my Lent commitments then, I don’t know. Perhaps it’s because I declare my Lent goals to my nearest and dearest, and thus feel they are more binding and open to appraisal. In contrast, I hardly ever shared my New Year resolutions with others
and since the lines around them were often so blurry. Or maybe Lent just means more to me full stop.
Either way, here are my goals for Lent 2012:
1) No chocolates, crisps, sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. For obvious reasons;
2) Drink at least 500ml of water a day. Now this may sound feeble, but for somebody (me) who rarely exceeds one cup of hot water/tea each day, it’ll actually be a real feat :) ;
3) Take at least two packed lunches to work a week. Again, this will be a challenge;
4) At least once a week, post on tumblr - just a quick browse through my tumblr shows I’ve seriously been slacking on this front;
5) Every seven days, try something new. Food, activity, travel, whatever - just something new. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
I don’t know the specificities of following Lent in a religious context, however, I think the general principal is great.
In the past, I have failed and succeeded. Obvz I would like to achieve the latter this year, and I will let you know how I get on.
How about you? Do you intend to give or take something up this year?